Professor Vassilis Hadjianastassiou (also known as Vass Anastassiou) graduated from the Medical School of the Uni. of Oxford, where he also completed his doctoral thesis in abdominal aortic aneurysms. He holds dual GMC accreditation in General Surgery and Vascular Surgery, having completed his specialist surgical training at the Oxford and London Deaneries. He was appointed Consultant Surgeon at Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Hospitals in 2008, where he also served as the Clinical Lead for pancreas transplantation. In 2011 he was recruited by the Cyprus Ministry of Health to restructure the system of Organ Transplantation in Cyprus and became the founding Medical Director of Transplantation there. He also served for 2 years as one of the two appointed experts in Vascular Surgery on the Government’s Advisory Committee. He currently works at the Royal London Hospital as a full-time Consultant Surgeon (Bart’s Health NHS Trust).
He passionately supports continuous medical education and training and has been serving for several years as an examiner for:
(1) the European Diploma of Transplant Surgery (European Board of Surgery) and
(2) for the MRCS award of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Since 2013 he has held the post of full Clinical Professor of Surgery of the Uni. of Nicosia Medical School. He has given numerous lectures in international meetings and has a significant number of scientific publications.
With his dual specialisation and more than 12 years’ Consultant grade surgical experience in the broad anatomical fields of general & vascular surgery, in complex laparoscopic techniques and in organ transplantation, he is competent and effective in managing a large spectrum of conditions in vascular and general surgery.
Above all, Professor Hadjianastassiou adopts a humanistic approach and views patients as individuals, with their own families, jobs and personal priorities.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
Complex Laparoscopic (Key hole) Surgery
(1) Clinical Professor of Surgery, Uni. of Nicosia 2016 to date
(2) FEBS(Transplant) - Fellow of the European Board of Transplant Surgery (Hon) - since 2016
(3) FRCS (General Surgery) - Royal College of Surgeons of England - since 2007
(4) FEBS(Vascular Surgery) - Fellow of the European Board of Vascular Surgery - since 2007
(5) Court of Examiners Member, (MRCS Exam) - Royal College of Surgeons of England - since 2013
(6) Executive Council Member (Treasurer) - Division of Transsplant Surgery, European Board of Surgery & the UEMS - First Term 2017-2021, just got re-elected in this Pan-European Institution for 2021-2025
(1) University of Oxford: Medical School - qualified in Medicine 1997 - BMBCh(Oxon)
(2) University of Oxford - Doctoral thesis in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms - 2007 - DM(Oxon)
Distinctions & Awards:
(1) NHS Local Clinical Excellence Award – (Guy’s & St. Thomas’ NHS) Jul 2010
(2) MEDICAL SCHOOL
(2a) Oxford University Graduate Distinction Award, Green College 1994-97
(2b) Martin Prize for 2nd preclinical year All-Round Distinction (Top 3 students) 1992-93
(2c) M. Turner Prize for 1st preclinical year All-Round Distinction (Top 3 students) 1991-92
(2d) Subject First Prizes in Anatomy and Biochemistry (BM Part I) 1991-92
Affiliations with Professional Societies:
European Society for Vascular Surgery
British Transplantation Society
British Medical Association
Mr Hadjianastassiou is a colleague Transplant surgeon. We regularly examine together candidates taking the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) exam in Transplant Surgery. He is also a qualified General and Vascular surgeon. I have observed him at work and I have referred patients to him in the past. He is an excellent surgeon and his patients speak very highly of him.