Lorenzo Garagnani is a highly specialised Consultant Hand and Wrist Surgeon, one of the few surgeons treating the whole spectrum of disorders of the hand, wrist and peripheral nerves of the upper limb both in adults and children. His main sub-specialist interests are complex wrist surgery and arthroscopy and paediatric hand surgery, in particular surgery of the congenital anomalies of the hand and upper limb.
Lorenzo has a keen interest in Medical Education and his regular activities include supervision of and teaching to Specialist Trainees, Hand Fellows and medical students, and he is the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Lead for Undergraduate Medical Education in Orthopaedics, tutor for the British Diploma in Hand Surgery and examiner for the European Diploma in Hand Surgery.
Lorenzo is the joint Lead of the Hand Unit at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London.
Mr Garagnani is author of numerous scientific publications that include articles and book chapters, and is regular speaker and faculty at national and international conferences, meetings and courses.
Lorenzo is internationally recognised for his work and research on new minimally invasive techniques that allow reduction of surgical morbidity in hand and wrist surgery, especially on children with congenital and acquired hand disorders and adults with complex hand and wrist disorders.
Lorenzo's NHS practice is based at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, and he consults privately at the following HCA’s hospitals in London: the London Bridge Hospital and The Portland Hospital for Women and Children.
Mr Garagnani is also:
- President of the Pediatric Hand - International Society of Surgeons (PHISOS)
- Secretary General of the Italian Medical Society of Great Britain (IMSoGB)
- Member of the International Relations Committee of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- Member of the International Traveling Fellows Committee of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- Member of the Diploma Examination Committee of the European Board of Hand Surgery (EBHS) / Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH)
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
European Diploma in Hand Surgery European Board of Hand Surgery/FESSH
FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England
Specialist Diploma in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery 2008 Bologna University
Doctor of Medicine and Surgery (Single-cycle Master Degree) 2002 Bologna University