Clinical and Academic Positions
- Consultant Upper GI, Laparoscopic and Robotic surgeon at Mid-Essex Hospitals NHS trust and Honorary Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary, University of London (London and Barts). (2003 – to-date
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Surgery - Anglia Ruskin University
- Visiting Consultant Surgeon. Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, London
- Previously Honorary Consultant and Senior Lecturer at The Barts and the Royal London and Homerton Hospitals and Queen Mary, University of London (1998-2003)
- Academic Gastrointestinal Surgeon with special interest in upper gastrointestinal and endoscopic, laparoscopic and robotic surgery.
- Lead clinician Essex wide cancer network for oesophageal and gastric cancers 2005- 2010.
- Special Advisor to NICE on Interventional procedures. 2004 – to-date
- Clinical Lead and course organiser and Examiner– Master of Surgery course in minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery – Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford
- Medical Advisor – CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome) society, UK
- Medical Advisor to Medtronic USA on Clinical Evaluation Reports
- Reviewer – NIHR Grant Applications, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology
- Educational and Clinical Supervisor for Sri Lankan Surgical Trainees in conjunction with PGIM Sri Lanka
- External International Examiner – Post graduate Medical Institute, University of Colombo. Sri Lanka – MD (Part I and II), University of Sienna, Italy - PhD
- Interviewer for intake of Medical Students – Anglia Ruskin University
1.Gastric pacing / Gastric Electrical Stimulation for gastroparesis – has established Broomfield Hospital as the National Centre for UK. Receive referrals from England, Ireland and Wales. The unit has the biggest series of patients outside USA. Outcome data from interventions have been presented at National and International meetings.
2. Physiology of the Stomach and Oesophagus – has established a laboratory at Broomfield Hospital for testing the functions of oesophagus and stomach. The laboratory also has the potential for attracting undergraduate and postgraduate students for Masters and PhD thesis.
3.Capsule Endoscopy – Part of the team that invented the capsule endoscopy at the Royal London Hospital. Has established this service at Broomfield Hospital.
4.Oesophageal and Gastric cancer – Set up Broomfield as the cancer centre for Essex through a successful bidding process in 2003. Now covers 5 acute hospitals with a population of 2 million.
5.Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery – The unit performs advanced minimally invasive surgery using both robotic and laparoscopic surgery for both benign and malignant disease of the oesophagus and stomach. I am the first UK upper GI surgeon to be accredited to perform robotic surgery and as a consequence be a mentor. I have performed over 120 robotic operations. I also perform complex benign oesophageal surgery such as revision fundoplications, Robotic Heller’s myotomy and giant para-oesophageal herniae repair.
6.Endoluminal Surgery –I did original work as part of my PhD thesis on endoluminal surgical techniques. Our group pioneered surgical techniques that have become routine practice in the past 12 years.
Publications and Presentations
- Original research on endoluminal surgery and capsule endoscopy.
- Published 35 peer reviewed articles
- Over 150 national and international presentations.
- Several invited lectures to learned societies:
- AUGIS (Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland)
- BSG (British Society of Gastroenterology)
- Hungarian Surgical Society, Budapest
- OESO World Congress, Paris, France
- European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology
- Institution of Engineering and Technology, Chelmsford
- Jikei University Surgical Society, Tokyo, Japan
- International Meeting on Therapeutic Endoscopy, Toronto, Canada
- International Meeting on GERD , Milan, Italy (Invited by Prof T DeMeester)
- NSUKI (Neuromodulation Society of Great Britain & Ireland)
- Academic Sessions of College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka
· Proctoring Surgeons in Croatia on GES and management of Gastroparesis
· Proctoring Surgeon form Switzerland on GES
· Live Operating and Training Surgeons in Sri Lanka
Research and Clinical Trials
· Principal Investigator - STAT-ROC Trial (Value £300,0000) -on Oesosphageal cancer . – Completed
· Chief Investigator – Medtronic PSR-GES European Registry Study – on going
· Principal Investigator - RLM-MD-01/02/03/04 studies – European studies – on going
· Experimental work with Cambridge Medical Robotics
Funds raised for Broomfield Hospital (Charitable means)
· £125,000 - Capsule endoscopy Service
· £110,000 – Narrow Band Imaging
· £500,000 – Integrated 3 D Laparoscopic Theatre
· £ 1.5 Million – Da Vinci Robot Xi
Cricket - played to a reasonable level when young. Now follow Essex County Cricket team
Football - An Arsenal fan!
Golf - play infrequently
Music - Fan of classical music, especially Russian music in the romantic period
Enjoy Theatre, Live music (especially the PROMS)Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
Gastric Pacing for Gastroparesis (Gastric Electrical Stimulation)
Motility disorders of the oesophagus and stomach