NHS Practice: Consultant Orthopaedic and leadShoulder Surgeon, Northwick Park & Central Middlesex Hospitals. CEA (localClinical Excellence award).
Mr Matthew Sala is aConsultant Orthopaedic surgeon, specialising in the treatment of Shoulder,Elbow, Wrist and Hand conditions; & Knee injuries; including Joint, Muscle and Tendonpathology, complex fractures,sport and soft tissue injuries.
Qualified from the Universityof Liverpool Medical School. Completed Specialist training on the North Thamesrotation including University College Hospital, St Mary’s Paddington, Hammersmithand Charing Cross Hospitals.
Awarded FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons)then FRCS(Orth) in 1997; and CCST in1999.
Fellowship trained at the Universityof Toronto, Canada; based at St Michael’s Hospital; with additional VisitingSurgeon attachments to the Hand Unit, London, Ontario; Massachusetts GeneralHospital, Boston; & Hospital for Special Surgery, New York City.
Appointed Consultant Orthopaedicsurgeon at Northwick Park and Central Middlesex Hospitals (NW London University Healthcare NHS Trust) in 2000; and ClinicalLead for Shoulder Surgery, managinga tertiary referral service for complex shoulder problems. AppointedHonorary Senior Lecturer at Imperial College School of Medicine in 2001.
MrSala has extensive experience in shoulder arthroscopic surgery, performing over90% of procedures in this way, including Acromio-Clavicular ligamentreconstruction; he pioneered collagen scaffold andinflatable spacer implants in rotator cuff repair, for which he is partof a national collaborative study.
Heis actively engaged in the Exactec Shoulder Replacement Steering Group, alsoproviding advanced surgeon training.
Working with a team of highlyexperienced Anaesthetists and Specialised Physiotherapists in Central and NW London.
Selected to provide speciaslist shoulder and upper limb advice and treatment for the London 2012 Olympics.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
- Shoulder and Elbow conditions treated
- Shoulder Dislocation; Shoulder instability.
- Shoulder stabilisation. Labral, Bankart repair: arthroscopic.
- SLAP lesion repair. Biceps tendon repair.
- Rotator cuff tendonitis and rotator cuff tears
- Subacromial and subcoracoid impingement.
- Rotator cuff Repair. Sub Acromial Decompression: arthroscopic.
- Insertion of "IN Space" inflatable implant for irreparable rotator cuff tears
- Frozen shoulder.
- Capsular release - for capsular fibrosis (frozen shoulder).
- Acromioclavicular joint injury, dislocation, instability, & arthritis.
- Shoulder arthritis.
- Total Shoulder Replacement Arthroplasty
- Reversed Polarity Arthroplasty (for arthritis with irreparable rotator cuff tear)
- Tennis elbow; Golfers elbow
- Elbow arthritis and stiffness
- Elbow fracture and soft tissue injury
- Olecranon bursitis
- Wrist and hand conditions treated:
- Cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Distal radio-ulnar joint and wrists arthritis
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Thumb (Trapezio-metacarpal) osteoarthritis
- Complex upper limb trauma surgery including:
- Shoulder, Scapula, Clavicle fracture
- Humeral, elbow, radius and ulna fracture
- Wrist fracture
- Hand and finger fracture
- Tendon/ligament injury repair and reconstruction
- Elbow capsular release for stiff elbows.
- Shoulder, Elbow & Hand conditions & sports injury.
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
- Shoulder Instability and Dislocation. Biceps and SLAP injuries. Frozen Shoulder;
- Acromioclavicular joint injuries and arthroscopic reconstruction.
- Rotator Cuff Impingement and Tears, rehabilitation, non-operative management and surgery including collagen Scaffold and inflatable implant surgery.
- Treatment of Shoulder Arthrosis.
- Tendonitis; Bursitis; Tendon injury and reconstruction. Tendon Shockwave Therapy
- Tennis & Golfers Elbow; Stiff elbow.
- Joint Pain; Arthritis; Joint Reconstruction; Joint Replacement.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. ThumbTendonitis (De Quervain's). Thumb and finger Arthritis.
- Fracture Management including complex shoulder, elbow, wrist, scaphoid and finger fracture and injuries.