Mr Philip JS Charlesworth is a Consultant Urological Surgeon. Following his graduation and completion of surgical training in the NHS & Military Hospitals on the South-Coast of the UK, he began a post-graduate degree in Molecular Genetics of Urological Malignancies, at the Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford. Once qualified he undertook his specialist surgical training in Urology & Uro-oncology and spent his final years focusing on robotic surgery, minimally invasive surgery & open surgery for major urological cancers and subsequent surgical reconstruction.
In 2012 he was awarded a British Urological Foundation Robotic Preceptorship alongside world-renowned Professor Indebir Gill and his robotic surgical team at the University of Southern California Institute of Urology, Los Angeles, California, USA.
He has a specialist interest in bladder cancer and robotic surgery, currently having performed in excess of 250 complex robotic major pelvic uro-oncological cancer operations and is ranked one of the highest volume surgeons according to national statistics. He has become the lead for major pelvic cancer operations for patients in Berkshire and South Oxfordshire, serving a population of 1.1 million people. He is one of a handful of surgeons able to perform complex operations using the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System for bowel reconstruction and formation, also having pioneered a radical technique to rectify robotic radical prostatectomy with graded erectile nerve sparing.
Other specialist interests include the diagnosis of prostate cancer, particularly with the novel advancement of specialist MRI scans of the prostate (multiparametric MRIs, mpMRI). He offers comprehensive diagnosis and investigative services for any urology problems, or specific uro-oncological complaints / concerns.
Diseases, Medical Tests and Treatments
Diagnostics for all urological cancers, particularly prostate cancer including mpMRI to avoid unnecessary prostate biopsy.
mpMRI Prostate Fusion targeted biopsies of the prostate (if necessary) under local anaesthetic or general anaesthetic.
Da Vinci Robotic Surgery - All complex robotic surgery in the pelvis including Retzius-Sparing Prostatectomy, Robotic cystectomy, Robotic partial cystectomy, Robotic intracorporeal reconstruction including formation of new bladder (neobladder), Robotic bladder reconstruction or augmentation, Ureterectomy, Ureteric re-implantation or Boari Flap reconstruction & Robotic simple prostatectomy.
Diagnostics and treatment of Benign Enlargement of the Prostate.
Diagnosis and Treatment of infective and inflammatory conditions of the prostate and bladder.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis - new treatments with vaccine
Chronic Inflammatory Prostatitis - new intravesical treatments
Chronic Non-inflammatory Prostatitis - many treatment options through multi-disciplinary team working
- Prostate Cancer (diagnosis, targeted mpMRI fusion biopsies, Retzius-Sparing Robotic Prostatectomy)
- Bladder Cancer (detection, surgical management & surveillance)
- Diagnosis & Treatment of infective and inflammatory diseases of the prostate and bladder
- Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis - new treatments with vaccine
- Chronic Inflammatory Prostatitis - new intravesical treatments
- Chronic Non-inflammatory Prostatitis - many treatment options through multi-disciplinary team working
- MRI of the Prostate to avoid unnecessary transrectal biopsy
- Visual Registration / Fusion mpMRI enhanced targeted prostate biopsies
- Nerve Sparing Da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy
- Real-time, live mapping, accurately targeted Prostate Brachytherapy
- General Urology
- Urological Cancers / Uro-Oncology
- Kidney Cancer
- Diseases of the Prostate & Bladder
- Robotic Surgery & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Urological Reconstruction
- Haematuria (Visible or Non-Visible)
- Any general problems related to Penis / Scrotum
- Elevated PSA / Prostate Cancer diagnosis & treatment
- BHP (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia)
- LUTS (Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms)